The Happiest Day of My Life


So, in case you don't follow me on my Instagram or Twitter then you won't have heard the news. The news I cannot stop talking about and the news fresh on people's lips...




I'm engaged! Deep breaths, Georgia. I'm marrying my best friend in the entire world. Who would have thought that when I met my favourite nerd a couple of years ago that we would actually end up getting engaged years later?

Jack and I have been friends a long time. In fact, we were friends for a whole year before we even started dating. He makes me laugh beyond belief; he makes me beam with nothing but pure and raw happiness; we are so different, yet so alike. It seems only right I spend the rest of my life with him - right?

It happened in the city that changed my life. In fact, it happened on the Tokyo Tower, which is what I deem to be the game changer in saving my life from overwhelming darkness - like Ryuk trying to swallow me whole and spit me out again. If you haven't read my previous posts on Japan, have a peek at these 3 posts to sum up my first time there and how my life had changed for the better. Conquering The FearSo I Travelled To Japan... Alone and finally What Travelling To Japan Has Taught Me. If anyone is reading this, make sure to let me know your thoughts on the posts I just linked as I am always open to hearing what anyone else thinks on the matter. Can travelling really change a person? I think, yes. You can get a wider more open view of the planet that we inhabit and I think that is the most beautiful gift of all.

Back to the post topic, shall we?

We had an entire day filled with love and enjoyment. We aren't the sort of couple who need to do overly expensive activities or go the fanciest of restaurants, we love the more simple things in life; so it seemed only right that we spend numerous hours in a 7-story SEGA arcade in the heart of Akihabara, right? Arcade dates are like our thing. Our first real date as a couple was to an arcade in London, and seeing the contentment on Jack's face shooting zombies on a screen in front of him made my heart giddy. I fell in love with my best friend in an instant. It was nice beating him at Mario Kart and spending time shooting creepy monster things in a completely new city, as long as I was with him. I was even happy for him to spend 5000¥ on a rare Yu-Gi-Oh card because seeing the happiness in his face at the smallest thing melts my heart like a perfect dark chocolate fondant. After a fun-filled few hours, it was time to leave Akihabara. I feel like if we never, we could have spent the whole night there just laughing and being idiots.



We decided we should check out Sunshine City in Ikebukuro. It was a close walk to our apartment and it was an easy activity. I had been having some really bad problems with my lower back and pelvis, so we decided to take it easy and do some window shopping in one of the most incredible shopping complex I have ever laid my eyes on. Think Westfield on acid. We were contemplating on visiting the aquarium there, but I soon learned that it wasn't necessarily an animal sanctuary and instead it was a bathtub for big, beautiful animals that deserved to be in their natural conditions - I couldn't bring myself to go there. So we left it, and I had a clear conscience. The queue for the Planetarium was depressingly long so we decided to just enjoy a free trip wandering aimlessly in and out of shops, not spending a penny. That was, until, I stumbled upon the Pokémon MEGA Centre. Yes, you read correctly. A mega centre for everything Pokémon. It was my wet dream. Jack is a fan of Pokémon, but he's more Yu-Gi-Oh and I'm more Pokémon so we were both eager to get inside. Regardless of how jam-packed to the mere brim this superstore was, I couldn't help but faultlessly turn into 7 year old me with my Gameboy Colour again. It was something else. I loved every second of it and wouldn't have changed it for the world. Another bucket list thing has been ticked off.



It got to the time I wanted to show Jack to Tokyo Tower. Now that I think of it, he seemed rather nervous yet excited, more than I had ever seen him before. I couldn't wait to show him my favourite place in the world. MY safe place. MY happy place. Everything that changed my life almost two years prior. Like last time, I bought both observation desks. We got to the 150m deck, which is larger and more cramped than the 250m one, but still amazing nonetheless. We had a lot of fun basking in the beauty of the city we were in, albeit, it was incredibly foggy that day so I was bitterly disappointed at not being able to show Jack the sun setting over Mt. Fuji, but it did not disappoint in the end. There was something so oddly calming about seeing the city of Lights shrouded in an eerie cloak of fog, like Silent Hill and Pyramid Head was sure to be looking for you. We sat for a good hour on a bench waiting for it to get slightly darker to purchase our ticket for the highest observation deck. When we finally got there, the sky was in beautiful deep blue hues, like a gloomy day without the gloom. It was peaceful, beautiful, like nothing I had seen before. We paced around separately viewing every nook and cranny as far as the naked eye could see, and then... it happened. I was messaging my mother pictures of the tower and the view we had when I turned around and saw the person that I adore, love, would give everything for, on one knee. I was shocked, I cried hysterically, I thought it was a prank. But it hit me. Everything I feel for him, he feels for me too. He really does love the concentration on my face while dodging my way through masses of Clickers when playing The Last of Us. He really does love the determination in my eyes while playing HALO Online and the satisfaction I feel when getting a kill streak. He loves the enjoyment I get while reading my favourite comic books and discussing theories for our favourite TV shows together. Everything I feel for him, felt the most real it ever has. It felt completely validated. I no longer had to worry he was bored of me, I no longer had to worry he was sick of me nagging at him for not putting a washing in. He actually wants to spend his life with me, and that to me, was everything.








Marriage is a strange thing. You have a ceremony and you are bound to someone forever. People are against it, people are strongly for it. I love the idea of marriage to the right person, which is why I am absolutely content to be in the place I am. I don't like the idea that I "belong" to someone through marriage because that is not entirely the case. I see it as committing your life and love to one person and validating everything you feel for one another. That is how my view on marriage goes. I am still undecided about taking Jack's surname or not, and, we have discussed this together. Maybe I will, to really feel like we are a family.

The next chapter is everything, and I cannot wait for our lives together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triangl Australia: Bikini Collection

MAC x Maleficent

What Travelling To Japan Has Taught Me